Thursday, May 12, 2016

Christmas Toffee

Jet Lag has faded...did I mention it turned out I was experiencing my extreme Jet Lag from a honeymoon pregnancy and not just flying across the globe - more on that later though.

Holiday treats for those I hold dear...and those I don't hold quite so dear but still feel it is my social duty and responsibility to bless them with a little holiday cheer (the school office administrators, the mail man, my neighbors that may or may not find my chickens annoying).  Usually I pull the great baking fantastic and provide adorable boxes complete with 4-5 fancy cookie/candy offerings.  Well, needless to say at 25 weeks pregnant this year I didn't really feel much like baking or gifting, but my Christmas conscience won out and I started scouring Pinterest for something that would look and taste like I had spent  hours in the kitchen, but in reality only require minimal committment and expense from me.

The clouds parted, the angels sang, there may have been slow motion cameras involved as well - I FOUND IT.  Of course, I've added my own tweaks, but after years of trying to make toffee and almond roca (ok to be completely honestly I've probably only tried twice...maybe three times) I finally did it.  Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I repeated this recipe 4 times this season with varying degrees of humidity and they all turned out fantastic.  My own tweak on the recipe comes after these various samples and with a desire to make it easier than it already was.

Side Story:  During the first night of this toffee making experience (Thursday before winter break - which means LAST day to make treats for the office staff and to keep them on my good side.... AHHH I  just realized I forgot to give the janitor something - cardinal rule of holiday gifting in a school :/) I discovered some special tweaks and secrets to this recipe that cost me dearly, in the form of 1st and 2nd degree burns, which are healing nicely but I could've done without.
Apparently I was too busy taking pictures of my burns to capture a good picture of the cooking process
Ingredients

  • 2 cups of "Ready for Almond Butter Almonds" (you can find these in the bulk food aisle - already roasted, salted and chopped)
  • 1 cup SALTED butter cubed (husband and I agreed it's better with salty butter)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I buy all my spices online now through PENZEYS)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips OR dark chocolate chips
Ready - Set - Go
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Line baking sheet with silicone baking mat 
    • (buy them if you don't have them) OR parchment paper - but I can't vouch for this method as I didn't try it
  • sprinkle 1 to 1 1/2 cup almonds (depending on how nutty oyu like it) in an even layer on the baking sheet but kind of in the middle because the toffee won't spread all the way to the edges

  • In a medium saucepan, combine butter, sugar, vanilla and salt over medium heat.  Cook, whisking constantly, until butter has melted and mixture is almond brown in color, about 10-15 minutes 
    • (it may take longer, but TRUST me you will see a color difference.  It doesn't need to be dark brown - just watch for an amber color - like the glass with the mosquito from Jurassic Park - the original.
  • Immediately pour toffee mixture over nuts
  • sprinkle chocolate chips liberally - let set 2-3 minutes
  • Using a spatula artistically or not spread the chocolate chips out over the toffeee
  • Quickly sprinkle remaining nuts and let harden (2 hours or so)
  • You can use a knife or just break at will into giftable pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment